Sitting outside on a warm day with friends or family is the perfect way to relax and enjoy the great outdoors. But nothing can ruin a good time faster than pesky insects buzzing around your patio. Luckily, there are some simple things you can do to help keep your patio free from unwanted pests. We’ve compiled a compact list of quick ideas that work great in the North Carolina climate. We, along with our customers in Hickory, have tested these methods over and over and have found that you can have success!
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Keep it clean: Make sure to regularly sweep up any crumbs or spills on your patio. Even the smallest amount of food or sticky residue can attract ants and other bugs.
- Change your lighting: Swap out your bright white bulbs for yellow or sodium vapor lights. The softer, yellowish glow is less likely to attract insects.
- Plant herbs: Herbs like garlic, rosemary, chives, and lemongrass can naturally repel bugs, so plant some in your patio area to keep them away.
- Light citronella torches: Citronella is a natural bug repellent and burning citronella torches or candles can help keep insects away.
- Use essential oils: Mix water with lavender or eucalyptus essential oils and spray it around your patio to create a natural bug barrier. You can also spray it on your skin for added protection.
- Grow marigolds: These pretty flowers not only add color to your patio but also help keep mosquitoes and other pests at bay.
- Try mouthwash: The minty scent of mouthwash can help repel mosquitoes. Mix it with water and spray it around your patio to keep the bugs away.
- Use hydrogen peroxide: Create a spray mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water and apply it to your patio surfaces and perimeter to help keep insects at bay.
By following these tips, you can enjoy your patio without having to worry about being bothered by pesky insects. So, grab a drink, relax, and soak up the sun, knowing that you’ve taken steps to create a pest-free environment!